Thursday, November 10, 2005

About my knitting preferences

I've been busy recently, that's the reason for the lack of posts. Eva tagged me with this knitting meme. Thanks for thinking about me Eva! So here are my answers:

1.What is your all-time favourite yarn to knit with ?
Most of the times I don't have a chance to knit again with a specific yarn since myyarn comes from different regions. However, I could say that a blend of merino wool and cashmere ( the yarn I am using for DH's vest ) has my best vote. I also enjoy to knit with soft Egyptian cotton that gives even stitches.

2. Your favourite needles ?
I am used to knit with my straight Clover bamboo needles. I am tempt to try the Lantern Moon needles, although I think they are too expensive. Recently, I was able to find a circular aluminium Addi, but I find it hard to take the clicking sound of the metal. The label didn't say Turbo though , does anyone know if there is a difference?
I also have a set of plastic Clover needles that deserves a picture!

Why? This set is so special to me because I have wished and dreamed about it for years during my younger knitting days. I was able to buy the Japanese knitting magazines but the needles were not available. It was hard to follow the recipes because I had no idea of the needle sizes ( Japanese needle size are different). So it was always a guess and wishing for this set thru the pictures in the magazines.
It's almost a relic!! DH got it for me about 15 years ago on a business trip to Japan. I told him that he had to find it for me no matter what! I still treasure it and like to look at this set, even though I don't use them that often. The plastic needles tend to curve, look at number 6 , the blue set.

3. The worst thing you ever knit
I have many many on this category. But considering shape, yarn and time invested. I'll pick
"Cloudy day vest"


I started to knit this vest during a Winter vacation in Tokyo, while my boys were skiing. Took the design from a sweater and did not do a proper reshaping in the shoulder area and the result is a too wide shoulder top. Also got this poor quality wool yarn and spent too much energy on the pattern. I still wear it but at home, it's comfy and can endure the housecleaning activites, not that I do too much cleaning nowadays! :D

4. Your favourite pattern
I have a passion for lacy& bobbles patterns and anything with ruffles. So I have to select this one :

This sweater is really heavy as I used double strands and knitted with needle Jap.4. The yarn is very thin but solid and I believe it's more adequate for crochet. The good thing is that this piece didn't stretch despite my frequent wear.

5. Most valuable knitting technique
Finally got to learn the tubular stitch and short rows. There are endless techniques to catch-up!

6. Best knit book or magazine
I have this special inclination to all knitting magazines :D ( can you tell?). But my vote goes for Keitodama and Vogue knitting magazine. I also like " knitting on/over the edge" from Nicky Epstein.

7. Your favourite knit-along
I haven't joined any yet. um, the thought of deadline sounds stressful to me. :)

8. Your favourite knit blogs
All the blogs I read are my favorites. I love to see what others are knitting and their yarns too!

9. My favourite knitwear designer
I am not sure 'cause I knit from Jap. magazines and don't know their names ( sad, isn't it?)

10. The knit item you wear the most.
This "Mint Tea" I wore quite often this past Spring and Summer. It fits me well and I like the shade of this green color.

11.Who to tag?
How about you , Erin , Laura Y.,Vivian, Yuvee, Vanessa, Lyn, Mona, handknit , Doreen
Did I forget anyone? It's fun to read about other knitters preference, so join the fun even if your name is not in the list. Got to make dinner now, the boys are hungry after their basketball session. Otherwise, I would make sure everyone is in the list.

4 comments:

Agnes said...

I like this meme ... love to read more about other knitters.
That plastic japanese needles set is really cute ... you have a good husband who managed to find it for you!

Anonymous said...

I like to read about knitter's fave sweaters. It's nice to know that mint tea is your fave.

mona said...

oooh you tagged me. naughty girl.
I'll try to take pictures this weekend and answer on Monday.
Mona

Toni said...

I remember Mint Tea! Lovely! And the green sweater has a vintage feel that I find really appealing. Great job!