Tuesday, May 22, 2007

New projects on the way

Another week is passing and Picassa/blogger is still not working for me. It's that problem with pictures disappearing after being published. Now I am using Photobucket, don't know if this is a good choice. At least, I can post the photos in my blog.

These images were taken couple weeks ago. I was pretty excited with these two projects. First one is this doily style cardi from the latest summer Keitodama. I was having fun knitting the center doily and seeing the emerging pattern because the photo of the design doesn't show the back at all. ( Btw, just showing the cover of the magazine, cute bolero, no? It's crochet though.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This second project is from World Knitting Spring /Summer 2007. I am just knitting the outer bolero. The set would be neat but perhaps too thick for summer. I am using a smaller needle size than required by the pattern. The cables and the eyelet rows were making this pattern too stretchy. It worked out for the width but smart as I could be, I forget about the length issue. I am trying to solve this problem by adding rows between the lateral increases.

And last photo, something sweet to make up for the previously bitterly projects! :D
Self bought gifts for mother's day! I found a new LYS a few weeks ago and couldn't just walk out empty hands. They are both Japanese yarns. The light terracotta ones are blend of linen and cotton and the light blue is 100% cotton, a very thin yarn.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I've been tagged for a meme by craftlover and Little Sesame Knits for this 8 random things about me. Thank you both for thinking about me!

  1. I have a special affection for cotton yarn. When I go into a yarn shop I browse for the cotton section first. It could be the spring colors that attract me and the lacy patterns suitable for this material.

  2. I still prefer straight needles even though I've been trying hard to use circulars. I even bought nicer ones to encourage the switch. Though, I still prefer my old straight needles.

  3. Nowadays when I go out, my priority is my knitting bag. I spend more time gathering my knitting gadges than selecting my outfit or applying make-up. It doesn't matter that I often don't even get to knit more than a couple of rows.

  4. My native language is Brazilian Portuguese which I have not fully used for more than 20 years.

  5. I don't drink coffee even though I grew up in Brazil.

  6. My great grandmother was a Manchurian. (Chinese minority ethnic).

  7. I can speak fluent Chinese (Mandarin) but I can't read or write.

  8. I am a fruit lover. I specially like fruits that have some sour taste. Bananas are exception though.

Thank you all for the well wishes and the nice words on Jasmine. I am feeling much better this week and ready to add more knitting into life.

I had couple of questions left in my previous posts that I will answer here because I don't have the readers' email.

1. a reader from Hokkaido requesting LYS address:

I only have Puppy store address -
Sapporo - Puppy Sapporo Komiyamaya
Nishi 2, Minami 3 Chuoku. Tel: 011 221 0565

There were other yarn shops in the same neighborhood but I don't have the address. You could ask the saleslady at the Puppy shop for directions to the other shops ( that's how I found the other ones)

2. Reader Claire requested info about White Orchid

The pattern is from World Knitting Spring/Summer 2007. It's a Japanese knitting book and instructions are based in charts. Some translation for the Japanese instructions can be found at ABCs of knitting. The book can be purchased or ordered from Kinokuniya ( scrow down this page for a list of stores in US), or through amazon.com.jp


7 comments:

Peggy said...

It's interesting you go right to the cotton yarns. I guess it's due to the weather in your parts of the world. I am trying to knit faster and get rid of all my cotton! I don't like the texture...
I don't drink coffee either! It hurts my stomach.

yuvee said...

Wow, Brazilian?? It's amazing the new things you learn about others ;)
Anyway, is that a cake I notice with your new yarns?

Celia said...

Ooooh... I also wanted to make that 2nd bolero, just need to find the right yarn. I like cotton yarn too. When the temperature heats up, I only want to knit in cottons.

opportunityknits said...

Glad you found an alternative way to post your photos. I must go and check out the Keitodama mag to see which design is the doily cardi. They should start showing a photo of the backs of sweaters if they have a different design from the front :)
Your bolero is so sweet in that lovely colour. I should try and re-swatch again with thinner yarn, when I have time :) Too many things I want to knit!
The new yarns look interesting - and I see that you might have started something already with the light blue cotton fine :) It really looks too tempting not to start knitting it :)

Craftlover said...

I want to get that Japanese magazine as well, but not sure if the patterns inside are interesting or not.
Seems like you love this magazine a lot. right?

Vivian said...

Both of your new projects look interesting. I love the colour of the bolero of your second project, sweet.

Jan said...

How neat that you grew up in Brazil. You must have led a very interesting life so far! Your new projects look very pretty. Can't wait to see how the design works out on the doily cardigan. And I'm glad you're feeling better!