Thursday, October 04, 2007

Doily cardi FO

I made it! Here is another post for this week. You've been waiting for this post, don't you? I hope I won't brag too much about this FO. Oh but I am so happy and proud for my doily cardi!

The final product turned out to be much nicer than I had expected. This project started with a lot uncertainty and frustration. When I first saw the design in the magazine I didn't like it all. I had no idea of the pattern as the picture in the magazine only shows a cluster of crochet borders.

I noticed some knitting work and that lead me to the graph page itself. So surprised I was to see this doily diagram. I immediately knew I wanted to knit one.

Remember that I'd started with the blue Millefili yarn and by the time I finished the central leaves panel I had to frog due to the wrong gauge? Well, that was my first frustration. My solution was to knit with a larger needle size and using a thicker yarn composed of of ramie and cotton . I found so fun to knit in round without worrying about increases or decreases. It's all embedded in the pattern. Even the unfamiliar circular needles ( I seldom use them) were not so strange to me anymore. And the best, no seaming at all!

Yes, I know the white top underneath is not matching at all! I was in such a rush for this photo session and nothing reachable from my closet at that moment looked good either.

I added the 3 buttons because I don't like the loosen look it yields on the sides and back when the cardi is unbuttoned . Take a look at the back, I think it looks very nice.

It's all about the back! I wished it was longer though. However, the collar would be wider than it's already. And it would cover the main panel even more.
It took me a few trials to get the crochet border straight. I wanted it look flat not ruffled. Though, I like ruffles, my objective this time was to eliminate the busy look of the trims as in the original design. I also skipped the border on the sleeves.

I took the photos at this park nearby my home. It's a pretty place with a lake in the center and in the back it has a Chinese theme garden with lotus flowers and a school of Koi. Though I like this place very much I seldom go there. Perhaps when the weather cools down I will do some walking around.

A better look at doily cardigan,
Pattern: Keitodama Summer 2007
Yarn: R&C Ramie Cotton bought in Japan
Needles circular and dpns size 7 (4.2 mm) , crochet # 4
I like it best in full view,

There are small mistakes in this doily. Can you find it? Observe the flower petals and you'll find out that the sleeves openings are not fully aligned. I had a little trouble knitting the sleeves up as well. I thought that the pattern was supposedly a continuation of the eyelets sts from the body. After frogging a few times and checking on the pattern I discovered that they wouldn't match. At least I can't tell when I am wearing it, so it's fine with me. Despite these little imperfections, I am still very happy with this FO!


12 comments:

yuvee said...

OOhh,...I love the construction! Neat! It looks great on you too :)

Craftlover said...

Wow, amazing... I love this!!
You are so good on knitting!!

Agnes said...

Ooooh ... the structure is awesome! Very cute too. Though I don't think I would look good in it ... you look great.

Anonymous said...

The construction looks so odd but it really works--cool!

Jackie said...

I love the back. Awesome !

Ling said...

Wow, what a gorgeous cardigan! It looks so intricate. I haven't noticed any mistakes at all.

Jez said...

Wow, it is really nice! I, too, passed this one up without a second thought the first time I saw it. Now, I think it is so gorgeous!! It's a shame that the pictures didn't show the back when it's so pretty.

Koko said...

What a gorgeous it looks!
It's just Wow!!

The colour and design, both are nice on you.
I understand why you are proud of the FO.

Anonymous said...

wauuu this is precious!! I love everything about it!!
great work!

Vivian said...

Very pretty!!

mel said...

Oh, your little cardi is just lovely!! So sweet and feminine. Beautiful job!!

Anonymous said...

That is SO gorgeous!!!

I am truly sorry sorry not to be able to have that pattern.
Congratulations on your fine work!

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca